How to Avoid Scams
Please take the following precautions while using Storabora:
- Never mail a cheque or wire money to sellers. Services like Amazon Payments, Google Wallet, Android Pay, Canada Post, Western Union or MoneyGram should be avoided. Typically, scammers will use these services and will even falsify documents from a legitimate company. It's best to avoid them entirely and keep things local!
- Storabora does not offer any sort of protection programs or secure payment systems for Storabora items. Any emails or web sites that talk about such systems are scams, even if they may have the Storabora logo. If you receive any emails promoting these services, please forward the message to us.
- Be wary of emails asking you to confirm your account or a password or email address change that was not requested. These are very often phishing emails by scammers trying to gain access to your account. Any emails we send requiring you to log in will bring you directly to our site. The Storabora sign in page should always show up as being secure in your web browser.
- Do not give out personal or banking information (e.g. social insurance number, bank account number) over the Internet.
- Inform Storabora of any attempted fraud or suspicious emails, ads, or other activity by community members. In the case of fraud, file a police report and contact us.
- Use common sense. If something sounds too good to be true- it probably is.
- Lastly, be careful of ads that request information in your response such as Age, Occupation, Income, Gender and more sensitive information such as bank or SIN card numbers as these can often be attempts to store information.
- Be wary of Text messages that look and sound similar to this example:
"Am Interested in item, Please email me back at firstname.lastname@example.org as I am at work"
- Be cautious of contact email addresses that contain gibberish or a lot of numbers. The text itself may also have strange punctuation and spelling.
When receiving replies regarding your ad, be suspicious of communication that does not make specific reference to what your ad is about, such as:
- "Is there anything to add or does the ad say it all?"
- "I'm ready to pick up this item, can you give me your price and is the condition as listed?"